The House system is the basis of our Pastoral Care program at Canberra Girls Grammar School (CGGS). Members of Houses work together to create and maintain a caring and positive environment in which all students are valued as individuals and have the support necessary to:
- develop their own potential and become independent
- have the self-esteem, confidence and enthusiasm to make a full contribution to school life and to their House
- enjoy and value academic work, taking pride in the achievement of high standards
- take responsibility for themselves and others
- deal with others in a sensitive and courteous manner and
- become interested and involved in the wider community.
There are six houses. Each has a Captain and three Vice-Captains selected by members of the House and all Year 12 students are encouraged to pursue leadership roles.
Houses provide a forum for participation for all girls in the areas of music, dance, drama, sport, debating and public speaking. Houses provide an atmosphere that enables students to develop leadership qualities, social skills and identity.
Burgmann House was named after the Right Reverend E H Burgmann, Bishop of Canberra and Goulburn from 1934 to 1960. Burgmann students are known for their enthusiasm, participation and concern for others. House colours are red and black.
Each year, Burgmann students are involved in many fundraising activities. The major charity supported is Children's Medical Research Institute's Jeans for Genes Day.
Deakin House was named after the suburb in which the school is situated, which itself is named after Australia's second Prime Minister, Alfred Deakin. Its House colours are green, black and white.
Each year, Deakin House is involved in community service on a local and national level. The tutor groups within the House actively raise funds for and support Bandanna Day through CanTeen.
Glebe House (otherwise known as the Old Rectory) was the name of the building where the Sisters of the Community of the Church first set up their school in 1926 in Canberra. Glebe House was situated in what was then the suburb of Reid.
Glebe House was established in 2001 to enable the school to give better Pastoral Care to the growing number of students. Glebe girls are involved in a variety of activities including community service and fundraising for R U OK? Day.
The name Kilburn comes from the name of the suburb in London. An order of nuns from Kilburn in London came to Australia at the end of the 19th century, first settling in Sydney and then later here in Canberra. House colours are red, white and blue.
Kilburn House encourages all girls to have a go and to get involved in as many House activities as possible. Each year, tutor groups work towards raising money for our House charity SIDS and Kids ACT.
Our motto honor ante honores sets a standard for honesty, reliability and integrity to which we all aspire.
Age quod ages (Do what you should do).
Robertson House, created in 1939, was originally named Forrest. The name was changed to Robertson in honour of C.S Robertson, Rector of St John's, who helped save the school when the sisters decided to sell it. Robertson's colours are red and green.
Robertson House raises money each year to support Liver Kids and The Children's Hospital at Westmead.
The name Waverley originally came from the name of the suburb in Sydney in which the Manor House of the Order of the Sisters of the Church in Australia, St Gabriel's, was located. St Gabriel's Waverley went guarantor for the loan to establish the current Canberra Girls Grammar School. Waverley's House colours are green and white.
Waverley House thrives on energy and enthusiasm and encourages the girls to participate in House activities. The main charity for Waverley is the ACT Cancer Council which through its research helps reduce the impact of cancer in the region. The main activities supported are Daffodil Day and Australia's Biggest Morning Tea.