This year, we happily celebrate the Gabriel Foundation’s 40th Anniversary. Founded in 1980, the Foundation has supported Canberra Girls Grammar School for four decades.
Discussions about creating a Foundation were held between members of the Canberra Church of England Girls’ Grammar School (CCEGGS) Board in the second half of the 1970s. The first known meeting of the Gabriel Foundation took place on 22 May 1980.
The inaugural members were:
- The Reverend Neil R Edwards (acting Chairman)
- Mr Lindsay J Curtis, Esq.
- Mr Arthur P Kenyon, Esq.
- Mr H G (Bert) Roberts, Esq.
- Mr J B (Bruce) Block (Secretary)
- Miss J A (Judith) Baskin
- Mr W R Jay
- Mr D V (Don) Youngman
In 1983, Professor Ralph W Elliot, Master of University House of the ANU became the first Chair of the Foundation’s Board.
Formed when Government funding to independent schools was under threat, the Gabriel Foundation has kindly assisted the School through building projects, professional development of staff, support for scholarships and bursaries, educational programs and the provision of required equipment.
Some of the projects The Gabriel Foundation has supported include:
- The Jubilee Sports Centre and Swimming Pool
- The Chapel of Annunciation
- The beloved annual tradition of the Grandparents/Godparents/Grandfriends’ Day, or GGG Day, as it’s better known.
- The building of our Lakeside multi-purpose facility, Yhuuramulum
- The Gabriel Foundation Scholars’ Program
Due to COVID, the celebration of the Gabriel Foundation’s 40th anniversary has been postponed until early 2021. But to learn more about how you can join The Gabriel Foundation in building a program of initiatives, ranging from scholarships to innovation spaces, visit www.cggs.act.edu.au/community/gabriel-foundation.
Or contact us on 6120 6453 or via email at GabrielFoundation@cggs.act.edu.au