Snowsports – Interschools
CGGS skiers had a wonderful week in Perisher, with a large team competing in the ACT/Southern NSW Interschools Snowsports Championships from Wednesday, 24 July. Congratulations to everyone who made this possible, including our skiers, staff and parents who all pitch in to make this event successful, year after year. The CGGS team comprised the following students:
Lara Agnew (Year 11), Kat Allen (Year 9), Alexandria Benson (Year 10), Samantha Blunn (Year 12), Madeleine Bolton (Year 12), Sophie Bolton (Year 7), Olivia Brummitt (Year 11), Jorja Campbell (Prep), Bronte Coggan (Year 7), Eliza Coggan (Year 10), Eleanor Crocker (Prep), Abbey Davis (Year 8), Isabella Davis (Year 11), Jacqueline Davis (Year 9), Sophia Dorman (Prep), Matilda Frizell (Year 6), Georgia Gathercole (Year 10), Tara Glover (Year 11), May Joseph (Year 8), Hannah Knight (Year 7), Ella Koch (Year 6), Cadence Leonard-Hiew (Year 4), Georgia Leonard-Hiew (Prep), Michaela McGrath (Year 12), Amelie McKellar (Year 7), Kaitlyn Nugent (Year 10), Kara Nugent (Year 7), Ava O’Donnell (Year 6), Georgia O’Donnell (Year 2), Madelyn Richards (Year 6), Alicia Robertson (Year 6), Athena Satsias (Year 5), Parisse Satsias (Year 7), Ella Schembri (Year 6), Tess Shanahan (Year 5), Alice Shreeve (Year 3), Poppy Smith (Year 6), Clara Story (Prep), Tara Strickland (Year 7), Hamish Story (Year 2), Meghan Story (Year 4), Allegra Taubenschlag (Year 4), Siri Taubenschlag (Year 3), Ella Veleba (Year 8), Charlotte Walker-Broose (Year 7) and Georgina Woodward (Year 12).
Plenty of our students achieved great results – we received a few updates throughout the competition, as follows:
- Charlotte Walker-Broose placed 3rd in the U14 NSW Distance Championships in Cross Country Skiing.
- Division 4 Moguls (Years 5-6) team came 3rd (Tess Shanahan and Athena Satsias)
- Division 3 Moguls (Years 7-8) Ella Veleba and Bronte Coggan claimed 3rd place with Ella earning an extra medal as second fastest down the course.
- Division 3 Ski Cross (Year 7-8) Bronte Coggan, Abbey Davis and Parisse Satsias team came 4th with Abbey recording the 4th best individual time
- Division 2 Ski Cross (Years 9-10), Eliza Coggan, Jacqueline Davis and Kat Allen came 4th with Jacqueline earning a medal by recording 3rd fastest individual time
- Division 1 Ski Cross (Years 11-12) Lara Agnew, Isabella Davis and Michaela McGrath came 2nd with Isabella Davis earning an extra medal by recording the fastest individual time.
Congratulations to all our skiers on what was a big week!
Well done to our Year 3 and Year 4 Canberra Girls Grammar touch football team who competed in the South/Weston competition on Thursday, 25 July:
Bella Barry (Year 3), Lucia Capezio (Year 3), Scarlett Cooke (Year 4), Grace Maclay (Year 3), Aleia Staniforth (Year 3), Amber Read (Year 3) and Claudia Ryall (Year 3).
Scarlett Irwin (Year 11), Lucy Piva (Year 8) and Charlotte Royal (Year 8) competed at the Australian Schools Swimming Championships over the July holidays. Each of the girls achieved personal best times and gained excellent experience swimming against the best in the country.
- Qualified for the finals and came 10th in the 50m butterfly with a personal best time
- 16th in the 50m freestyle
- 11th in the 100m backstroke
- 10th in the 100m butterfly with a personal best time
- 11th in the 100m freestyle
- Put in an amazing effort and swam in five relays in one afternoon.
- Qualified for the 50m breaststroke final with a personal best time and came 3rd
- Qualified for the finals and came 7th in the 100m breaststroke with a personal best time
- 12th in the 200m individual medley
- 11th in the 50m freestyle with a personal best time
- 6th in the 200m breaststroke with a personal best time
- Qualified for the 100m freestyle final with a personal best time and came 7th
- Lucy also swam in four relays, including the 4 x 50m mixed medley relay where the ACT team came second, with a silver medal. Being the mixed relay, Lucy was swimming against seven boys in the breaststroke leg and managed to swim a faster time than all, but one.
- 8th in the 200m backstroke with a personal best time
- 16th in the 50m butterfly with a personal best time
- 12th in the 100m butterfly
- 17th in the 50m backstroke
- Competed in two relays, both of which improved on their entry times.
In other swimming news, Chloe Douglas-Byrne (Year 7) swam at the NSW Short Course Country Championships, held at Sydney Olympic Park on 6-7 July. Chloe swam in six events, recorded some huge PBs and placed 2nd in the 12 years 100 freestyle, 3rd in the 12 years 50 freestyle and made finals in the 12/u 200 freestyle and 12/u 200 IM. Without the wonderful guidance from Coach Barkley and the use of the CGGS pool, Chloe’s success at this event may not have been possible.
Isabel King (Year 6) and Sascha Miklas (Year 5) were selected to be part of the National Capital Ballet School intermediate troupe this year. They have had a busy month competing at three eisteddfods in Cowra, Dubbo and Dance Life Unite Canberra.
Their hard work and commitment has been recognised with the following awards:
- Contemporary: 2nd (Cowra), 2nd (Dubbo), 2nd (Canberra).
- Jazz: 3rd (Cowra), Highly Commended (Canberra).
- Hip Hop: 2nd (Canberra).
- Their troupe has also qualified to perform all three routines at the Dance Life Unite Nationals in Sydney later in the year.
Charlotte Woodward (Year 4) had another successful weekend of dance, recently attending the Dancelife Unite Eisteddfod. She performed as a part of the Junior Elite Troupe, National Capital Ballet School and was awarded:
- 2nd Place: Contemporary (10 Years)
- 3rd Place: Hip Hop (10 & 12 Years)
- 4th Place: Jazz (10 Years)
Charlotte was also selected to Captain the troupe at this Eisteddfod.
After months of training, over the school holidays Bella Lennon (Year 5) took the Grade 5 Glenn Wood Tap exam. She received an outstanding result, achieving 98% which earned her the gold award for her grade.
In early July, Harriet Hughes (Year 8) and her mare, Mika, represented NSW and the ACT at the Australian Youth Dressage Championships, held at the Sydney International Equestrian Centre. They were very successful, competing in huge class sizes of riders from across Australia. In their classes, the Under 25 Novice Pony Championship, they placed 4th and 5th, finishing 4th overall.
Organised by ACT Monaro District Golf Association & CSGA, Junior Golf Week was a four-day golfing event played at Murrumbidgee Golf Club, Belconnen Golf Club, Yass Golf Club and Federal Golf Club.
Two of our students competed in the event:
Sia Taylor (Year 5)
- Day 2 Belconnen Winner CSGA event
- Placed 13th overall from the four-day event (B- Division Under 12 Stableford)
Amarissa Taylor (Year 1)
- Sub- Junior, 9 holes no GA handicap
- Participated in all four-day events
Sophia Medina (Year 8) was selected to represent the Under 14s ACT Soccer team, which competed at the National Youth Soccer Championships in Coffs Harbour from 15-19 July. The ACT won the pool B draw - they were undefeated in their side of the competition, a great achievement for the ACT as they competed against major state teams. It is also a fantastic achievement for Sophia who has decided to pursue her dream over the last couple of years and has had a lot of success in a short period of time.