- About Us
- Junior School
- Senior School
- Community (active page)
The Gabriel Foundation
The Gabriel Foundation
Founded in 1980, the Gabriel Foundation has played a pivotal role in providing support for the ongoing development of Canberra Girls Grammar School (CGGS). In addition to philanthropic gifts from benefactors, when families accept a position at the School their Standard Family Contribution is paid to the Foundation. These funds are managed by the Gabriel Foundation Board for the ultimate benefit of the School.
The Foundation takes its name from St Gabriel’s School, which opened in 1926 with just 10 pupils. The work of the Foundation reflects the early history of the School when in 1935, a dedicated group of parents and friends purchased the School from the Anglican Community of the Sisters of the Church. This ensured its survival through the Great Depression. After the Second World War, the school was taken over by the Anglican Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn. Today, the Foundation strives to strengthen our community by advancing educational opportunities for its students, and to further the tradition of philanthropy.
Inspiring outcomes, enriching tomorrow
The Gabriel Foundation uses the income it earns from accumulated capital, for specific purposes assisting CGGS to build a better future for our students. The Foundation has contributed over $10 million towards the provision of equipment, professional development of staff, support for scholarships, educational programs and assistance with major building works which include:
- Jubilee Sports Centre
- The establishment of the Early Learning Centre
- Junior School Hall
- Senior School Hall
- Junior School Library
- Senior School Science Wing
- Refurbishment of the Boarding House dining room and kitchen
- Refurbishment of the Gabriel Centre Multimedia Theatre
- Refurbishment of B Block
- Administration Hub
- The Science Centre
- The Yhuuramulum Centre
The Gabriel Foundation gratefully acknowledge past and present students and their families, as well as the many friends of Canberra Girls Grammar School who have given generously to the Foundation since 1980. In doing so, they have provided many of the outstanding facilities and scholarship opportunities that students enjoy today.
In addition, the Foundation has been able to provide assistance and certainty to members of our community who have been affected by COVID-19.