Defence School Mentor Program
Supporting Defence students and families
The Defence School Mentor supports Defence students and their families from Reception to Year 12. The Defence Mentor works with the Pastoral Care team and in partnership with teaching staff to help all Defence students reach their best educational outcomes.
We provide a range of programs and services to support the changing needs of our students and families. These include:
- regular social events for Defence families
- welcoming students and their families to our school and supporting them during parental absences due to deployment, exercises or courses
- organising excursions for senior school students that encourage leadership, initiative and team work. Excursions are held at various locations including Birrigai outdoor and environmental education centre, the Australian Defence Force Academy and the Australian War Memorial. These excursions are often combined with other ACT schools which provides opportunities for Defence students to socialise across the broader Canberra Defence community.
- liaising with the teaching staff and Pastoral Care team to monitor the social, emotional and academic wellbeing of Defence students
- coordinating an ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day ceremony at both the Junior and Senior Schools and organising opportunities for students to represent the school at external ceremonies at the Australian War Memorial, and
- regular communication with CGGS Defence families to identify programs, services, resources or opportunities that best suit their needs.
For more information please contact: