CGGS has a longstanding relationship (since 2008) with Glen Gerreyn who has developed a seminar for students about hope. The seminar “Hope Express” is research-based and geared around progressive educational agendas, empowering our Year 8, 9 and 10 students in an increasingly complex world.
The girls were totally engaged throughout the seminar and many remained behind to speak with Glen.
“Glen was the most inspirational speaker I’ve ever listened to,” said Year 10 Kilburn student Zara Dobson-Harper. “This has made me realise the commitment and effort I need to put in to follow my dream.”
Olivia Davies (Year 8 Kilburn) said about the session: “Not only did it help me but it made me want to help people around me.”
Here is a summary of the information covered in Glen’s presentation. I hope it will encourage conversations with your daughter – indeed, if they have not already talked about the presentation, or are working on their vision board.
- What is the power of purpose – intention?
- Who am I?
- Why am I here?
- Where am I going?
- Gifts, talents, strengths
- Empathy, resilience, justice, joy, strategic thinking
- Talents – naturally recurring patterns of thoughts and feelings can be productively applied
- Character strengths – wisdom, courage, humanity, justice
- Plant it – mentors, trainers, teachers
- Get out of your comfort zone – commitment v routine
- Practice mindfully – deliberate – committed to learning
- Practice, train, study, rehearse, - plant, water, turn soil, pull out weeds (doubt, fear, negativity)
- Social media – comparisons
- Depression is a season – it will end! Hope in the future, power in present
- Yours gifts and talents remain consistent but your purpose is fluid
- Having a visual drive will empower you
- Motivation is not the problem - it is a lack of vision
- Vision Board – goals - have a vision big enough to inspire you
- Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard
- Do not let success go to your head or failure go to your heart
- Talent, 2. Opportunity 3. Drive
- Show commitment - anchor to your purpose
- Be proactive
- Accomplish your dreams
- Get started
For more information please refer to the link to Glen’s website The Hopefull Institute.
Director of Pastoral Care
Photo above: Glen Gerreyn with students and Director of Pastoral Care, Mrs Jeanette Widmer, after his inspiring presentation.