The Canberra Girls Grammar School (CGGS) Early Learning Centre (ELC) strives to provide an educational program of the highest quality for girls and boys aged three to five years old. Central to this is the creation of an environment that is welcoming, stimulating and supportive of both our students and families.
Our Philosophy focusses on nine Core Areas: Administration, Learning/Curriculum, Educators, Children, Communication, Families, Relationships, Physical Environment, and Community. Cumulatively, the values and beliefs asserted in these Core Areas provide an all-encompassing picture of our unique Centre.
- The ELC is part of Canberra Girls Grammar School. We are governed by the School Board and its delegates. We are an Anglican School; we support and actively promote Christian values with our students.
- We work closely with National and ACT specific agencies to ensure we meet all required regulations and standards, specifically the National Quality Framework.
- As an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School, we offer the Primary Years Program (PYP) and we are guided by the Reggio Emilia philosophy.
- We have clearly written policies and procedures.
- The professional conduct of our educators is guided by the United Nations Rights of the Child charter and the Early Childhood Australia Code of Ethics.
- As an IB World School offering the PYP, we aim to “develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect.” (IBO Mission Statement). Offering the PYP in the ELC ensures a seamless transition into the PYP program at the Junior School and provides a framework to ensure the holistic development of young children.
- We believe that learning is a lifelong process.
- We believe learning is a social and shared process.
- We believe that children benefit from a range of teaching and learning strategies.
- We believe that learning experiences must be meaningful and purposeful.
- We believe each child brings their unique background and breadth of experience to their learning.
- Educators in the ELC are highly qualified and possess detailed knowledge about young children.
- Our educators are purposeful in the way they design and deliver the learning program.
- Qualities valued in all staff at the ELC include being fair, inclusive, compassionate, innovative, reflective and passionate.
- We believe that children are unique individuals who have a natural ability to think, wonder, create, reason and imagine.
- We believe children are capable and competent individuals.
- We believe that children learn at their own pace.
- We believe that young children must feel safe, secure, respected and supported in their learning environment.
- We believe that communication is fundamental to our work.
- We believe respectful and appropriate communication with children is of particular importance.
- We believe frequent communication between educators and parents/families is important.
- We value the important role that family plays in the life of each child.
- We value the diversity present in our community.
- We respect the intricate and detailed knowledge that parents/carers have of their child.
- We welcome the involvement of families.
- We believe that relationships are fundamental to the well-being of our staff, students and families.
- We believe that the relationship an educator builds with a child is critical.
- We acknowledge the unique partnership that educators have with parents/carers.
- Staff within the School develop professional relationships to promote the best interests of each child.
- We believe that the environment is the “third teacher”.
- We believe that the physical environment should be inclusive of all children.
- We believe young children have a basic right to feel safe and secure in their learning environment.
- We believe that there are positive outcomes for children and families when a strong school community is present.
- The School community, including the ELC, is connected to wider communities.
- We utilise agencies and members of the local community as a resource.
In summary, at the Canberra Girls Grammar School Early Learning Centre we believe in the unique and special time of early childhood. We value the opportunity we have to be a positive influence on young children’s well-being, development and education, and embrace the opportunity to support parents/carers in the care and education of their children. We strive for excellence and to be a service of the highest integrity and quality.