Vivien Gough Memorial Music Scholarship
The Vivien Gough Memorial Music Scholarship enables girls with an outstanding aptitude in music to develop their musicianship and benefit from a Canberra Girls Grammar School education.
This scholarship is offered to students on merit based on their musicianship. Categories include:
- Instrumental – Bassoon, Lower Brass, Strings or Orchestral Percussion
- General music – all other instruments and all-rounders
- Guaranteed place at the School for new enrolling students.
- Up to 75% remission of tuition fees for a student to study at CGGS. This is calculated on a sliding scale depending on the family’s financial circumstances. Fee remission will take into consideration any Abstudy support you may be eligible for;
- Scholarship recipients are not required to pay the Standard Family Contribution;
- Instrumental Tuition on one (1) instrument. Lessons must take place on CGGS campus with Music Academy Instrumental Tutors. Lessons may be considered with an external tutor on negotiation with Dean of Music;
- No levy charges for any Music Academy ensembles or classes;
- Free access to Masterclass and PL Series events;
- Mentoring with Dean of Music (or other senior music staff on negotiation);
- Personalised programs, guidance and performance opportunities; and
- Access to a range of initiatives and programs offered by the ANU School of Music.
- Participate in at least two (2) corresponding Music Academy ensembles or classes;
- Students take part in the curricular music program from Year 7-10 and are strongly encouraged to continue with curricular music in the Senior School (BSSS or IB);
- Passion and drive for all Music Academy activities at CGGS;
- Maintain a high level of expertise in music performance;
- Act as a role model for younger musicians when and where possible, leading by example with motivation, enthusiasm, punctuality and attendance at all Music Academy rehearsals, concerts and events;
- Uphold the aims and objectives of the Music Academy;
- Developing skills in leadership and the willingness to publicly represent the Music Academy both at school and in the community;
- Attend and perform regularly in the lunchtime/evening Recital Series;
- Attend Term meetings with the Dean of Music (or other senior music staff on negotiation);
- Aid music staff with running of Music Academy concerts and events, including those of a social nature; and
- Encourage participation in the Music Academy throughout the School and broader community.
Applicants are required to:
- provide evidence of age, identity and Australian citizenship or permanent residency status (Original documents must be cited including birth certificate, passport, visas etc.);
- outline financial need with provision of financial information;
- submit a résumé, including examination and eisteddfod/music reports;
- provide copies of most recent academic report;
- prepare a performance piece of the applicant’s own choice for audition, no longer than five minutes in duration. An accompanist is recommended but not mandatory and is to be arranged by the applicant. If the applicant plays multiple instruments, they are encouraged to present a piece on each;
- prepare for aural tests including clapping rhythms in simple and compound time, singing chord tones and melodies;
- attend an academic examination; and
- attend a School interview.
The School does not provide a report on the applicant’s performance in the scholarship examinations.
Prospective students must:
- be entering Years 5 to 11 in 2020;
- demonstrate performance and interpretive skills, and stylistic awareness and expression;
- showcase presentation through choice of repertoire, stage presence, communication with audience and accompanist, if appropriate;
- demonstrate general knowledge and ability to contribute to The Music Academy at Canberra Girls Grammar School; and
- have a positive outlook and collaborative manner with peers and teachers.
Scholarships are awarded at the discretion of the School and the School’s decision is final.
Wednesday, 29 August 2018
|Wednesday, 12 September 2018, 9.00am to 1.00pm|
From 12 to 24 September 2018.
End of Term 4, 2018
Scholarship application fee
$55 (including GST)
If you have any Questions:
Call or email our friendly Admissions team.
T: 02 6202 6420