The School is fortunate to have a grand organ in our School Chapel of Annunciation, providing a rich opportunity for musicians with a passion for piano and organ. To encourage this passion up to three (3) 12 month Organ Scholarships, providing subsidised organ tuition, are awarded each year.
The scholarship would be ideal for girls who currently study piano and are interested in extending their keyboard skills by pursuing lessons on organ. This scholarship is offered to existing CGGS students on merit of their musicianship.
- Subsidised piano and organ tuition for 12 months;
- Free access to Masterclass and PL Series events;
- Mentoring with Dean of Music (or other senior music staff on negotiation);
- Personalised programs, guidance and performance opportunities; and
- Organ incentive awardees and the Organ Scholar will also have access to a range of initiatives and programs offered by the ANU School of Music.
- Attend weekly organ lessons;
- Play the organ as required for regular school Chapel Services, special occasions and at the annual Carol Service;
- Passion and drive for all Music Academy activities and events;
- Maintain a high level of expertise in music performance;
- Act as a role model for younger musicians when and where possible, leading by example with motivation, enthusiasm, punctuality and attendance at all Music Academy rehearsals, concerts and events;
- Uphold the aims and objectives of the Music Academy;
- Developing skills in leadership and the willingness to publicly represent the Music Academy both at school and in the community;
- Attend and perform regularly in the lunchtime/evening Recital Series;
- Term meetings with the Dean of Music (or other senior music staff on negotiation);
- Aid music staff with running of Music Academy concerts and events, including those of a social nature; and
- Encourage participation in the Music Academy throughout the School and broader community
Scholarship applicants will be required to:
- provide evidence of age, identity and Australian citizenship or permanent residency status (Original documents must be cited including birth certificate, passport, visas etc.);
- submit a résumé, including examination and eisteddfod reports;
- provide copies of most recent academic report;
- audition, wearing suitable concert dress, by performing a piano piece of the applicant’s own choice, no longer than five minutes in duration. Also perform a hymn, of the applicant’s own choice. An aural test will also be part of the audition including clapping rhythms, singing top, middle and bottom notes of chords and sing melody back; and
- attend a School interview.
The School does not provide a report on the applicant’s performance in the scholarship examinations or auditions.
Prospective students must:
- be already enrolled at CGGS, entering Years 5 to 10 in 2020;
- be undertaking piano lessons to a minimum standard of AMEB Grade 6;
- demonstrate technical, interpretative and stylistic expression;
- showcase presentation through choice of repertoire, stage presence, communication with audience and accompanist, if appropriate;
- demonstrate the ability to maintain sound results in all other chosen subjects or courses;
- demonstrate ability to contribute to The Music Academy at Canberra Girls Grammar School; and
- have a positive outlook and collaborative manner with peers and teachers.
Scholarships are awarded at the discretion of the School and the School’s decision is final.
Friday, 28 September 2018
Early Term 4, 2018
End of Term 4, 2018
Scholarship application fee
$55 (including GST)
If you have any Questions:
Call or email our friendly Admissions team.
T: 02 6202 6420