Junior School Library
The Junior School library supports the educational and recreational interests of students and staff from the Early Learning Centre to Year 6. The library is staffed by a qualified Teacher Librarian and library technician. Students from Pre-prep to Year 6 have weekly borrowing sessions with a focus on reading promotion and developing our students as lifelong readers. Loans are for two weeks, with open access to the collection so that students and their parents can borrow as frequently as they would like. The library is involved in a range of reading activities including:
- Scholastic Book Club
- Scholastic Book fair
- CBCA Book Week
- National Simultaneous Storytime
- Annual Library Lover’s Day
- Kids Lit Quiz
- CBCA Christmas Book Appeal
- ACT Chief Minister’s Reading Challenge
- Reading and writing competitions
- Author talks
- Year 6 library committee
Students from Prep - Year 6 have regular library lessons planned collaboratively with class teachers as a partnership in the teaching and learning of the Units of Inquiry involved in the Primary Years Programme. These lessons focus on developing:
Information Literacy Skills:
- Defining and planning information searches
- Locating, generating, accessing data and information
- Selecting and evaluating data and information
- Primary and secondary sources
- Recognising intellectual property
- News and media literacy
- Website evaluation
Digital Citizenship skills:
- Media balance and wellbeing
- Privacy and security
- Digital footprint and identity
- Relationships and communication
- Cyberbullying and digital drama
Opening hours for students:
|Before school||8.15am - 8.45am|
|After school||3.20pm - 3.45pm on Tuesday - Thursday (closed Monday afternoons)|
Students are welcome into the library before school when accompanied by a parent for shared reading and borrowing.
School hours: 8.45am - 3.20pm
The library is open throughout the day for lessons, and is utilised by a range of staff and students for a variety of purposes.
The library is open to students every lunchtime(1:45-2:15) for recreational activities
After School hours: 3.20pm - 3.45pm, Tuesday - Thursday (Closed Monday afternoons)
Students are welcome into the library after school when accompanied by a parent for shared reading and borrowing.
The library is also used after school for a variety of co-curricular activities including robotics, coding, and chess.
Senior School Library
- a comprehensive website that provides resources and links to all library services and collections - http://cggs.libguides.com/home
- wide-ranging collections that support the curriculum
- extensive resources in fiction and guidance in fiction selection
- complete textbook hire service
- access to a range of online databases
- advice on referencing, correct citation, avoiding plagiarism and research skills.
The library also has a large collection of audio visual materials including ClickView resources, and various items of equipment available for loan including; cameras, tripods, laptops and drawing tablets. The Book Club meets every fortnight in the Library.
The computers in the library are available for student use where they can access the School network. Students can also connect to the school network using WiFi on their own devices to create documents, print assignments, and search for school-related material.
Opening hours for Students:
|Monday to Thursday||8.15am–5.00pm|
Online Catalogue and Databases
Access to the library’s databases and catalogue, Oliver, are available via the website.